*Yields 4-5 portions
You can’t go wrong with onion and baked bacon! Put some cheese in it and…. Mmmm…. All these flavours are amazing! Watch out with adding salt to this dish, because the bacon and cheese is already quite salty.
• 1 tbsp. butter
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1.1 lb /500 g ground beef
• 6 slices of thin cut streaky bacon smoked or unsmoked, chopped
• 1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes 120 g
• 1 -2 tbsp. tomato puree
• 1,5 tsp. Dijon mustard
• 2 cups beef stock
• ½ tsp. salt
• ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
• 1/3 cup cream cheese
• 1,5 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
• 3 tbsp. chopped parsley
• 1/3 cup heavy cream
• ¼ cup chopped fresh cherry tomatoes
1. Add the butter to a large frying pan and let it melt at medium heat. Then add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion looks glassy.
2. Then add the ground beef and bacon to the frying pan as well. Cook for another 5-8 minutes until it’s cooked through. If you use a high fat content beef, you can drain the fat if you like.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, Dijon mustard, beef stock and pepper. I would recommend not to use (much) more salt; the ingredients are salty enough by itsself.
4. Reduce the simmer to a medium/low heat and cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Add the cream cheese, 1 + ¼ cup of cheddar and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Mix well until the cheese melts. Stir in the heavy cream and take of the heat. Adjust seasoning to taste.
6. Pour the soup into bowls and top with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese and chopped fresh tomatoes mixed with the remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley.
Macros (per portion, based on 4 portions):
Carbs: 9,3 g.
Net carbs: 6,2 g.
Fat: 44,7 g.
Protein: 28,2 g.